What have we learned about home staging from this blog this year?
1) Sponge painting is ugly. Remove it before any potential buyer sees it.
2) Neutralize bright paint colors & cutesy murals & designs.
3) Remove unnecessary personal items & clutter.
4) Remove family photos before selling.
5) Remove refrigerator magnets & other clutter from kitchens. Buyers like to see clean counters.
6) Remove the knives & ugly pot rack. No buyer wants to see your dusty old pots & pans. Knives are dangerous; what if a buyer brought their kids?
7) Either empty out a room completely or arrange the furniture in a pleasing manner. Consult a professional home stager if you have questions.
8) By all means, please clean the carpet and pick up the animal poop first. $100 could save you $3,000 (buyers will assume total carpet replacement is necessary and will discount their offer significantly).
Happy New Year! Best wishes in 2010!!