Mushrooms On the Ceiling

February 16th, 2008 · 9 Comments

True story.  This is a Mesa house I previewed in July 2004.  The house was vacant.  The evaporative cooler had leaked, and water soaked the ceiling of this bedroom for weeks.  Mushrooms grew out of the ceiling!  Yes, mushrooms growing upside down!!  And mold everywhere.

080216i.jpg

The smell of mold was so bad, my throat immediately began to close up and my nose began to run.  I ran too, outside for fresh air.  And to get my camera!

080216h.jpg

I gulped fresh air, ran inside, snapped one photo, then ran outside for fresh air.

080216j.jpg

Repeated the process for these photos.  After the last photo, I had coughing fits for several minutes and almost puked.

080216g.jpg

I called the listing agent immediately to tell her about the mold issue and how it affected me.  She replied, “Oh, it’s not that bad.”

080216f.jpg

I don’t know what happened to this house.  Probably an investor bought it, slapped on some paint, and rented it out.

080216e.jpg

Please be careful around mold.  I still get psychosomatic symptoms when I look at these photos.

Tags: Bedroom · Safety Issue · Mesa, AZ Homes · Ceiling · Water Damage

9 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Ugly House Photos » Blog Archive » Safety Hazards // May 24, 2008 at 11:34 am

    […] Finally, here’s a link back to a post I did about excessive mold in a Mesa, Arizona home.  I saw mushrooms growing on the ceiling!!  Incredible photos, well worth a look.  Here’s a sneak peak: […]

  • 2 WildCard~ // Aug 10, 2009 at 5:08 pm

    OH MY GOD! I never saw anything like that before, mushroom growing from a ceiling, basement yes, ceiling no!! I’d run from that place…People please take caution with black mold and to this day I have never felt 100% like myself. I was exposed to black mold spore 10 years ago after we bought an RV to travel across USA. We later found out the first owner had flooded the place after leaving the water running in the tube.. They supposedly had it taken care of. We decided to replace the carpet with wood floors, easier to take care, instead we found black mold between the floor and walls. I became deathly ill three weeks of moving into it, was in out doctor office for years with crazy symptoms. Today I suffer with Fibromyalgia, the black mold may have brought it on! AVOID BLACK MOLD AT ALL COST!!!! Losing your health is not worth the price!

  • 3 Aline // Aug 19, 2009 at 4:30 am

    When you said mushrooms were growing from the ceiling I thought “No way! He’s kidding, right.” Took a second look. Studied the “growths” carefully. OMG THOSE ARE MUSHROOMS!!!!!

  • 4 Ugly House Photos » Blog Archive » True Real Estate Stories - Tales of the Weird // Nov 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm

    […] Mushrooms On the Ceiling?          This was a good one.  I previewed a vacant house in Mesa and was blasted with a strong musty odor.  One of the bedroom ceilings was covered in nasty mold.  Apparently the evaporative cooler had leaked through the roof to a bedroom.  The moisture was so bad that mushrooms grew from the ceiling!  I immediately covered my mouth and ran for the door to get my camera.  Mad dash inside, held my breath, clicked, and ran for the door.  I called the listing agent, coughing violently, to tell her about the serious mold problem; she said, “Oh, it’s not that bad.”  The photos are posted here. […]

  • 5 Eliz // Jan 23, 2011 at 5:30 am

    What do you do to fix something like that? Does the whole ceiling have to be removed?

  • 6 Leif // Jan 23, 2011 at 8:17 am

    Eliz, you’d have to do a lot more than just replace the ceiling. Total mold remediation is needed. The attic rafters probably need to be treated too.

  • 7 Roozter // Jul 16, 2011 at 1:24 am

    Perhaps you should invest in a gas mask?!

  • 8 nik // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:02 am

    This is coming out of my ceiling at the moment. I rent and my property manager won’t do anything about it. I’m worried about the damage it’s doing to my health!

  • 9 Amanda // Jul 10, 2014 at 2:30 pm

    Nik, Call the department of health and tell them what your building manager has you living in. Mold like this is extremely dangerous to breath in and can spread throughout your home and belongings you keep near it.

Leave a Comment