The Gran Turismo series has been a Sony staple since the original game launched on PS1 in 1997. In celebration of its 25th anniversary, Polyphony Digital CEO Kazunori Yamauchi discussed his history with the series and shared the Gran Turismo sales numbers over the last quarter century.
Gran Turismo total sales reach over 90 million copies
Writing on PS Blog, Yamauchi says the Gran Turismo series as a whole has sold over 90 million copies. Despite racing being a relatively niche genre, the franchise has been a consistent best-seller, only stumbling with the divisive GT Sport.
The series is undoubtedly popular, but we were surprised just how well it’s performed when we took a look at the PlayStation best-seller charts:
- Gran Turismo: 10,850,000 sold – #1 best-selling PS1 game
- Gran Turismo 2: 9,370,000 sold – #3 best-selling PS1 game
- Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec: 14,890,000 sold – #2 best-selling PS2 game
- Gran Turismo Concept: 1,585,000 sold – #100 best-selling PS2 game
- Gran Turismo 4: 11,760,000 sold – #3 best-selling PS2 game
- Gran Turismo 5: Prologue: 5,350,000 sold – #7 best-selling PS3 game
- Gran Turismo (PSP): 4,220,000 sold – #4 best-selling PSP game
- Gran Turismo 5: 11,950,000 sold – #2 best-selling PS3 game
- Gran Turismo 6: 5,060,000 sold – #9 best-selling PS3 game
- Gran Turismo Sport: 1,140,000 sold – #29 best-selling PS4 game
Figures for Gran Turismo 7 aren’t available yet. However, the hype around the game and a relatively positive reception mean it’s probably done reasonably well.
Here’s to the next 25 years of Gran Turismo!