With the holiday season fast approaching, many of you may be thinking about getting a PS5 console as a gift for a younger member of the family, but young children always need help to set up their consoles. They may not have the patience to wait for games to install and update on the day, so here’s everything you need to know on setting up and updating a PlayStation 5 console.
How to set up and update a PS5 console
Most young children will be happy with a console they can play straight out of the box, but unless you put in the updates and install the games beforehand, this won’t be happening. Here’s how to then make sure the PS5 console is set up and ready to go.
- Attach the base to the side or bottom of the console. If putting the console back in the box afterwards, you’ll need to detach it again.
- Connect the console to the TV and turn it on.
- Follow the instructions on the TV to connect the console’s DualSense controller, read the user agreement, and set up language, internet settings, display settings, and power options.
The console should install the latest update but you can check whether this has happened by going into the System Settings:
- Go to Settings > System > System Software > System Software Update and Settings.
- If the console software needs updating, this menu will display Update Available. Hit this button to install the update.
Finally, you’ll want to install games from disc and make sure they’ve been updated:
- Put the disc into the console. The console will automatically begin installing the game from the disc.
- Highlight the game icon on the home screen and press the options button on the controller.
- Select “Check for Update” from the dropdown menu
If you’re wanting some advice on the best games to get for the console, here is our selection of best horror games, sports/racing games, single-player games, and multiplayer games for 2023. We have more categories coming over the next few days, including our overall game of the year.