The new PS5 controller might be a cool bit of kit, incorporating some impressive features that help to enhance next-gen games, but it has one weakness: battery life. Thankfully, for those that know how to stop PS5 controller battery drain issues, you can buy hours of extra time without the need to charge. Here’s a rundown of the best practices when it comes to stopping DualSense batteries from draining too fast.
How to stop PS5 controller batteries from draining quickly
To stop PS5 controller batteries from draining quickly, users should:
- Ensure the latest DualSense update is installed.
- If there’s an update available for the controller, a notification will appear onscreen when the DualSense pad is connected.
- Connect the controller with a USB-C cable and update it.
- Be smart with charging.
- Leaving your controller plugged in at all times can be bad for battery longevity.
- Consider only plugging the controller in to charge when it has 25% or less battery life remaining.
- Utilize the Rest Mode charging feature.
- Power can be supplied to the USB ports to allow for charging peripherals like the DualSense controller.
- To enable this, go to Settings > System > Power Saving > Features Available in Rest Mode > Supply Power to USB Ports > On.
- Lower the brightness of the light bar.
- Though it can’t be completely turned off, the light bar brightness can be dimmed.
- To achieve this, go to Settings > Accessories > Controllers > Brightness of Controller Indicators > Dim.
- Disable optional features to save battery life.
- Though cool upgrades to the controller, both Vibration and Adaptive Triggers appear to sap a lot of battery when they are frequently used.
- To disable vibration features, head to Settings > Accessories > Controllers > Vibration Intensity > Off.
- To turn off the fancy trigger system, go to Settings > Accessories > Controllers > Trigger Effect Intensity > Off.
Looking for more helpful PlayStation guides? Here’s how to check hours played on PS5, as well as how to make PS5 copying faster, and how to fix PS5 controller stick drift.